Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Book Review: Mockingjay

 One thing about being sick, at least I have time to read. I whipped through this book in a day - the perfect book to read when you're sick, because no matter how bad you feel, at least your life isn't as bad as poor Katniss'.

 "Mockingjay" picks up right where "Catching Fire" left off. This one has a lot more politics and a little less action than the other two. I can't say much without spoilers for people who haven't read the first two books yet, but I can say that Katniss learns nothing is as simple as it appears on the surface, and nothing and no one can be taken at face value. There are no heroes, there's no black and white, only varying shades of gray.

 At first, I was a bit disappointed when I finished this book. I suppose, subconsciously, I was hoping for a happy ending, but I really should have known better. I won't give anything away, but this book isn't going to give you any warm fuzzies, or feel-good moments. It will give you a lot to think about. This whole series is one that will stick in your mind for a long time. I'm really glad these books are so popular with teens - this is Quality Literature that will make  kids think about what we take for granted in society today. I'd suggest teaching these books in high school English classes, but I suppose turning them into homework would leach all the fun out of reading them!

 Now, bring on the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment