Saturday, October 6, 2012

Product Review: Farmland Oven Perfect Pork Loin

 A few days ago, I tried the new Farmland Oven Perfect Pork Loin. This is a new product, where you cook it in the plastic packaging - just remove the paper labels, put the bag on a cookie sheet, and bake.

  The instructions on the loin say to cook for an hour at 425 degrees, and not to puncture the bag. After removing from oven, let sit for ten minutes, then use scissors to cut open the bag. Well, I followed the instructions, but I didn't have to get my scissors dirty; when I took it out, the bag had split wide open all by itself. I don't think it was supposed to do that, but it didn't seem to hurt anything. Though it was juicy and flavorful, I thought the pork was a bit overcooked. (DH disagreed, but I like my meats rarer than he does.) Next time I make this, I plan to reduce the cooking time by about ten minutes.

 I tried the Cracked Peppercorn flavor. Now, when I've tried other marinated pork loins, like Hormel's, I've found the flavor was too intense. All you taste is marinade, not the meat. This Farmland version got it right. Just the right amount of marinade flavor, but not enough to overpower the pork.

 The usual retail price for the product is $8.99. I got it on sale for $7.49, plus I had a $1 off coupon. It was big enough to feed three people (though the boy didn't eat much, he doesn't care for pork), plus enough for lunch the next day.  I liked the product and would buy it again, but I wouldn't pay $8.99. I will probably only get it when it's on sale, or I have a coupon - preferably both.

2 comments:

  1. I cooked the Southwest Style Peppercorn tenderloin per instructions and it was dry and tough. I called the company, complained, and they sent me some coupons. I bought another and decided to slice the tenderloin into medallions and pan sear them. They came out fantastic, cooked MR. I was just leery of cooking it in the package and didn't want to be disappointed again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, if you cook by the package time it comes out overdone. I've made it a couple times since this post, and reducing cooking time by about 10 minutes or so makes all the difference.

      Delete