Sunday, October 7, 2012

Book Review - 50 Shades of Gray

Fifty Shades of Gray
E. L. James

 This was one of the first eBooks I bought after I got my iPad. At the time, it was just becoming the "it" book, the one everyone was talking about, so I jumped on the bandwagon. My reaction: Meh.

 I really don't understand how this book became so popular. A few months ago, everywhere you turned someone was talking about how groundbreaking it was, how it gave women permission to read erotica (or at least, admit reading it). Whatever. There's just as much sex in your average historic romance novel. And a lot of those are better written.

 Really, how believable are these characters? Ana, the college grad virgin who suddenly falls for super rich, creepy stalker Christian, to the point of following him into his kinky world. Christian, super-rich, emotionally messed-up, could have anything and anyone he wants, but falls hard for inexperienced (and boring) Ana. Nope, not buying it. Plus, the dialogue is atrocious. By the time I got to the end of this, I wanted to slap some reality into these cardboard characters, and I have zero interest in completing the trilogy.

 By the way, I read a few weeks ago, this author started out writing "Twilight" fan fiction. That explains so much...

No comments:

Post a Comment