Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Ghost Story

When it comes to the supernatural, I'm like Fox Mulder - I want to believe. But I've never actually experienced anything paranormal first hand. However...

 We don't live in an old house, it was built in the 1990s. And even though it had quite a few owners before us, none of them died here. (Believe me, I checked). So this is an unlikely haunted house. But according to paranormal experts (and "Ghost Whisperer") people can be haunted, so...

Some people claim to be sensitive to the paranormal - they can go somewhere and feel bad vibes, or something watching, or whatever...but...that's not me. I'm completely oblivious to the spirit world. There could be a ghost parade marching through my living room right now, I'd never know. Children, however, are supposed to be able to see things adults can't, which would explain some things I've observed around here in the past year.

 When the baby was about 3-4 months old, I played the smiling game with her a lot. I'd sit on the couch with her facing me on my lap. When I smiled, she'd smile back. When I stopped smiling, she stopped. Simple game. Except, sometimes, she would look up and over my shoulder, where someone standing behind me would be, and smile - at no one. Then stop smiling. Then smile again. She was playing the smiling game with someone standing behind me - someone I couldn't see.

A few weeks ago, I was sleeping in on a Sunday. The baby monitor was on, and I heard her starting to fuss, but I was really tired and just couldn't force myself out of bed. I was looking at the monitor and trying to get up, when I heard a man's voice say three words that I couldn't quite make out, then the baby giggled and cooed. I thought, good, Daddy's got her, and dozed off again. I woke up about 20 minutes later when she started to fuss again. I picked her up, and we went downstairs, where I asked Daddy if she had gone back to sleep after he went in to check on her. He hadn't checked on her - he'd been downstairs and hadn't heard her at all.

A few days ago, I was in the kitchen and the baby was in her play yard  in the next room. I heard her say "Hi" and peeked around the corner. She was standing, looking up at about the height where an adult's head would be, if someone was standing in front of the play yard looking down. She had her arm stretched out, pointing, and kept saying "Hi" - but no one was in the room. The TV wasn't even on.

So there it is. I've never felt anything, any tingling, or any "presence." And by the time the baby's old enough to question, she won't remember any of this, so we'll never know what, if anything, was here. Maybe a late relative checking in? But it's something to ponder. Happy Halloween.

1 comment: